Our team of enthusiastic and dedicated volunteers make a real difference, keeping the museum running and improving the visitor experience at Beck Isle Museum.
New volunteers are welcome to join us at the Beck Isle Museum. Whether you are seeking a new experience, looking to learn new skills or meet new people the museum can offer a range of volunteer roles, from welcoming visitors and helping with events to working behind the scenes with the collections or in the workshop.
Listed below are the roles currently available. If you are interesting in becoming a volunteer at Beck Isle Museum please complete a Volunteer application form
Occasionally we recruit volunteers to help with collections and exhibitions. We will post details on this page when opportunities arise.
We are currently looking for a volunteer Treasurer for the Beck Isle Museum. The Treasurer looks after the organisation’s financial affairs, producing management accounts and reporting on financial matters to the Board, but is not required to undertake the day-to-day book-keeping. For more information please contact 01751 473653.
If you would like to have a chat with us about volunteering or to find out more, please contact the museum.
Responsibility for providing good customer service to all visitors to the Beck Isle Museum
• Welcoming visitors to the museum, providing them with a brief introduction to the museum and answering any queries
• Undertaking admission and retail transactions on the till
• Asking visitors if they are able to gift aid their admission
• Offering children’s trails/activity sheets to family groups
• Regular walks around the museum (especially on busy days)
• Carrying out visitor surveys
• H&S/In an emergency situation following the fire evacuation procedure
• On occasion undertaking other tasks which can be done at the reception desk
Responsibility for contributing to the events programme at Beck Isle Museum
• Helping to plan events throughout the year
• Setting up on the day and helping to clean up at the end of the event
• Facilitating a variety of activities; crafts, family activities, games and workshops
• Helping to promote events, through distributing posters, writing a blog and uploading events online.
Responsibility for contributing towards the delivery of the education programme at Beck Isle Museum
• Helping out during school visits in the Victorian schoolroom, the parlour or leading a group around the museum helping pupils to imagine what life was like for children in the Victorian period.
• Dressing up in period costume (optional)
• Guiding adult education groups around the museum
• Answering any queries from school pupils or group members
• Ensuring that you are familiar with the fire evacuation procedures and in an emergency situation ensuring that groups safely leave the museum
• On occasion going out to schools to assist with the delivery of an education session